Available Dates 2024
July 9-14, 2024
July 16-21, 2024
July 30-August 3, 2024
Guiding backpack trips is what we do! Since 1979 we’ve logged thousands of trail miles with kids and adults. We provide all your gear and knowledgeable guides for trail leadership. We invite you to lead the faith aspect of the trip, although Sonlight guides are equipped to lead content as well. Backpack trips are ideal team building events for student leadership groups, youth groups, and families.
We are booking trips for summer 2024. To learn more, or schedule a group trip: call Winston Marugg 970.264.4379 or email [email protected]
What can you expect from a Sonlight backpack trip?
- Group size 8-13 total people. Rental trips are for high schoolers or adults.
- All gear, food and equipment provided as well as meals and accommodation at Sonlight before and after the trip.
- Two Sonlight staff plan and guide your group on the journey.
- Sonlight does all the footwork and details and you have all the fun!
- All participants will carry all their own gear, as well as a share of the group gear.
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 35-50 pounds.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy at times.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-8 miles per day.
- Sonlight programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, there may be a significant change in elevation. All trailheads are at an elevation of 8,000-9,000 feet, and we hike through areas that range between 9,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level. Depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,000′ or13,000′ peak.
- Days are often long, and may require you to be up at 7 am and in bed at 9 pm
Notes for Groups
All trips begin Tuesday morning from the Sonlight backpack base.
Our first day includes orientation, Leave No Trace instruction, distribution of gear, equipment and food. Guides teach pack assembly and how to set up the tents. We’ll head in to the wilderness the first afternoon.
We’ll be on the trail until Saturday afternoon, returning to the backpack base to debrief, unpack and enjoy a great home cooked dinner. The night will be spent at the backpack base and the group will have a Sonlight breakfast before departing the next morning.
5 day trip: $595
4 day trip: $495
Up to 13 guests on a trip
To Book A Trip
Give us a call: 970.264.4379
$1500 deposit and signed contract required to reserve a backpack trip. (The $1500 does apply to your total charge.) The balance is due when you arrive. The deposit is non-refundable should you cancel.
We will mail you a contract to be signed by:
- Group leader and
- Business administrator or finance person of your church or ministry and
- Senior pastor of your church.
Three forms are required for participation on a Sonlight backpack trip to comply with state law:
1. A health history to be completed by a parent / guardian or adult participant is required by state law
2. A physical (by an MD, PA or Nurse Practitioner) within 12 months of the trip is required by state law
3. The Authorization and Acknowledgement of Risk form to be signed by a parent/guardian or adult participant
Already Booked a Trip?
Links to required forms and organization information is available on our Backpack Group Checklist.