Young Adult Trips
It takes courage to grow up and be who you really are
Trip Dates 2024
Young Adults (18 – 30’ish years old)
July 3 – 7
Rate: $495 | Subsidized $395
Arrival: Wednesday evening
Departure: Sunday morning
Rate: $495 | Subsidized $395
Arrival: Tuesday evening
Departure: Saturday morning
We see you! Do you desire connection and community while navigating the early years of adulthood? You are not alone! We invite you to step away from your daily routines and step into an intentional space as we explore the beauty of the San Juans. Programmatically designed for 18 -30ish year olds we will navigate, together, the longing of belonging as we take on the trails in the company of new friends.
Sonlight makes it easy, providing all the backpack gear you’ll need: packs, tents, sleeping bags, food and utensils, you just need to bring yourself (and a raincoat and a good pair of hiking boots!) The trip will start and end at Sonlight – great food and hot tubs will help celebrate our closing time together.
Scholarships are available! If you have scholarship needs due to financial challenges, contact Sonlight Director Mary Marugg
970.264.4379 | [email protected].
- All participants will carry all their own gear, as well as a share of the group gear.
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 35-50 pounds.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy at times.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-8 miles per day.
- Sonlight programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, there may be a significant change in elevation. All trailheads are at an elevation of 8,000-9,000 feet, and we hike through areas that range between 9,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level. Depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,000′ or 13,000′ peak.
- Days are often long, and may require you to be up at 7 am and in bed at 9 pm.
This trip begins Wednesday morning from the Sonlight backpack base.
We’ll start with orientation, Leave No Trace instruction, distribution of gear, equipment and food. Guides teach pack assembly and how to set up the tents. We’ll head in to the wilderness the first afternoon.
We’ll be on the trail until Saturday afternoon, we’ll return to the backpack base to unpack and enjoy a great home cooked dinner. You have the option of spending the night at Sonlight and depart after breakfast Sunday morning.
Three forms are required for participation on a Sonlight backpack trip to comply with state law and will be available through CampInTouch:
1. A health history to be completed by a parent / guardian or adult participant is required by state law
2. A physical (by an MD, PA or Nurse Practitioner) within 12 months of the trip is required by state law
3. The Authorization and Acknowledgement of Risk form to be signed by a parent/guardian or adult participant
Want to go backpacking this summer?
Of course you do!