Trip Dates 2024
High School Co-Ed Trip
June 25-June 30
Ready to set aside the pressure and busyness of front-country life and find some adventure? Sonlight offers the opportunity for high school students to build community, climb peaks and explore the wilderness. An opportunity like no other!
Subsidized tier: $495
Scholarships are available for those with a need for some financial assistance. Contact Director Mary Marugg 970.264.4379 | [email protected]
- All participants will carry all their own gear, as well as a share of the group gear.
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 35-50 pounds.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy at times.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-8 miles per day.
- Sonlight programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, there may be a significant change in elevation. All trailheads are at an elevation of 8,000-9,000 feet, and we hike through areas that range between 9,000 to 12,000 feet above sea level. Depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,000′ or 13,000′ peak.
- Days are often long, and may require you to be up at 7 am and in bed at 9 pm.
The trip begins Tuesday, morning at the Sonlight backpack base.
The first day includes orientation, Leave No Trace instruction, distribution of gear, equipment and food. Guides teach pack assembly and how to set up the tents. We’ll head in to the wilderness the first afternoon.
We’ll be on the trail until Saturday afternoon. Returning to the backpack base we’ll debrief, unpack and enjoy a great home cooked dinner and have the opportunity for a soak in the Sonlight hot tubs. The night will be spent at the backpack base and the group will have a Sonlight breakfast before departing the next morning.
High schoolers may bring their phones to the backpack base but not into the backcountry. Phones will be returned to students Sunday morning to contact parents. Guides will take photos during the week and share with participants.
Three forms are required for participation on a Sonlight backpack trip to comply with state law and will be available through the CampInTouch platform:
1. A health history to be completed by a parent / guardian or adult participant is required by state law
2. A physical (by an MD, PA or Nurse Practitioner) within 12 months of the trip is required by state law
3. The Authorization and Acknowledgement of Risk form to be signed by a parent/guardian or adult participant
Want to go backpacking this summer?
Of course you do!